New World is a coming massively multiplayer online role-playing game developing by the Amazon Game Studios Orange County. Previously, the company called Double Helix Games is an American developer of video games, which is based in Irvine, California. Double Helix Games was founded in October 2007 in the result of merging of two studios The Collective and Shiny Entertainment, owned by Foundation 9 Entertainment. Double Helix was acquired by Amazon and integrated intoAmazon Game Studios in February 2014. As a result, we have a huge company, which is working on developing the game New World, the release date of which is scheduled on September 2021.
The game itself is written on the base of Amazon Lumberyard, is a free cross-platform gaming engine of the class AAA, developed by theAmazon and based on the architecture of CryEngine, which was licensed from Crytek in 2015. The engine has an integration with web services of Amazon, which allows developers to create or post their games on Amazon's servers, as well as realize live-streaming via Twitch. The source code is available to end users, but with the limitations of using: is prohibited either for the publication of the source code of the engine or for using it to release their own game engine.
New World is not the first MMO written and made with Lumberyard. The engine has already participated in the revitalization of Cloud Imperium Games: Squadron 42. And Star Citizen which is being tested, is also using a Lumberyard to realize its game world. The history of creating the New World game takes its beginning on September 2016 at TwitchCon. At that time, Amazon Game Studios presented its first three computer games: Breakaway, Crucible и New World.
- 31 of March 2018 Amazon Game Studios announced the suspension of development of the game «Breakaway». That decision had largely been prompted by a studio's desire to focus on working on «New World» and «Crucible».
- 21 of September 2020 developers of the game announced the completion of the final beta testing of the game.
- Relentless Studios announced the cancellation of the development of the Crucible on October 2020, after which joined to developing the New World.
- 16 of February 2021 the game's release date was appointed 31 of August.
- 5 of August 2021 the Amazon company postponed the game's release up to 28 of September 2021, it was the fourth rescheduling of the game.