This New World leveling guide has been made updated for Brimstone Sands and fresh servers.
Welcome to the best New World leveling guide! This leveling guide will help you level fast and efficiently from levels 1 - 60. There are many activities that provide experience, but this New World leveling guide covers general leveling tips, the best quests to complete, solo questing, and mistakes to avoid.
There is a TLDR at the bottom of the post. For those who prefer the visual video guides, refer to the following video.
2. New World Leveling Tips
The most impactful change to the leveling process is the MAJOR reduction in character experience needed to reach level 60. The developers stated that there was a 140% reduction in experience required to reach level 45, and a 160% reduction to reach level 60. We now have less to do to reach level 60!
- The main story quest line and side quests are now a completely viable way to level your character all the way to level 60. You don’t need to complete every side quest, but the side quests will generally require you to travel to the same area as the main story quest line so they are efficient.
- Lore notes now reward additional experience compared to the old leveling process. Lore notes that are glowing blue are ones that you have yet to open for the first time. Open them for free experience.
- If the side quest looks like it will require you to travel to several different points around a territory, I would highly recommend skipping it. For example, there is a quest in Brightwood requiring you to survey several different waterfalls within the territory that is time intensive and ineffective to complete.
- The early levels should be fast. To maximize efficiency, equip light armor for the quick dodge roll and the 20% increased damage. Don’t worry about getting the best armor or weapons because you will be replacing your gear constantly through the leveling process.
- It is recommended to join a faction as soon as possible. The faction quests provide leveling experience and a way to flag for pvp. Flagging for PVP is beneficial because you receive an increased 10% experience from killing mobs. Although it might seem like a small amount, you can join a faction at level 17. For the next 43 levels, you have an opportunity to gain an additional 10% experience for every mob kill.
- There are reports that you should flag before turning in quests to gain additional quest experience. Whether or not these reports are correct, it is super easy to quickly flag before turning in quests. If you do get additional experience, it's a no brainer to continue perform this tip!
- Town board quests used to be a popular way for leveling, but the developers lowered the experience rewards by 75%. This change is a huge nerf to town boards so doing them is extremely ineffective and a waste of resources.
- If this is not your first rodeo, you can skip the basic tutorial by hitting escape, navigating to the game menu, and then selecting “skip New World tutorial.”
- Traveling efficiently during your leveling process is important. When possible, stay on the roads for 15% increased movement speed. Additionally, there are several fast travel points around each territory that can make moving around the map a lot easier. It is worth the extra time spent to discover them so you can expedite your future travels. One last travel point - if you are far away from a travel point or settlement, quickly dying to respawn at the settlement is efficient.
- Whenever you reach a new territory, register at the inn for a quick way to return to the settlement. The cooldown on this fast travel is 30 minutes so use it wisely.
- Complete all the main story quests for important rewards like the azoth staff. The azoth staff is important for dungeons and clearing corruption portals.
- I would be remiss if I did not mention gathering and crafting. All crafting and gathering activities do provide leveling experience. The only thing I call into question is the efficiency while leveling to 60. In my personal opinion, it makes more sense to level efficiently to 60 and then come back for crafting and gathering. At the end of the day, this point is a personal preference.
3. Corruption Portals
Corruption Portals also used to be a popular way to level back at launch, and they now reward an additional 150% experience. However, there is a catch. First, there is a reset timer on the portals. Once cleared, they take time to respawn. Second, they only become an efficient source of leveling experience when there are 15+ players clearing them. I don’t recommend trying to do them in a five man group as it wastes time you could be questing.
With that being said, it is an easy way to gain experience and take a break from solo/group questing. On fresh servers, I predict that they will be a popular way to supplement questing experience. Be on the lookout for messages in global or recruitment for players doing corruption portals and join them if there are enough players to make it worth your time.
One last note. Reaching level 40 should be fairly easy through solo/group questing. It is at this level that I would recommend clearing corruption portals because you would be able to clear the higher tier portals for more experience compared to the lower tier ones.
Maybe insert the leveling video guide here?
4. Solo Questing
You can now complete the main story quest line completely solo. The main story quest that used to require you to enter Amrine now features a solo path. If you don't wish to group up, no problem! You are now given the option to either complete the Amrine expedition OR complete a solo quest in Everfall.
If possible, I recommend you complete the Amrine expedition for additional leveling experience. The faction leader in Windsward has three Amrine PVE expedition quests you can complete. Also, there is a quest outside the entrance to Amrine named Bones for Barkimedes. These extra quests provide more leveling experience and rewards.
5. Character Progression Unlockables
Here is a list of your character progression as you level.
At level 5: Second weapon slot
At level 10: First bag slot
At level 15: Third consumable slot; Camp tier upgrade; Homes are available to purchase
At level 20: Ring slot; Join 3v3 PvP arena queue
At level 25: Fourth consumable slot; Camp tier upgrade
At level 30: Second bag slot
At level 35: Second home is available to purchase
At level 40: Earring slot; Camp tier upgrade
At level 45: Third bag slot
At level 50: Join the war against a corruption invasion
At level 55: Third home is available to purchase; Final camp tier (V) upgrade
At level 60: Join Outpost Rush queue; Unlock the ability to gain expertise
6. Specific Quest Guide
You will spawn on the beach in Aeternum with one potential main story quest located with a marker on the map. Complete these missions on the beach before heading up to the closest settlement.
If you don't complete these main story quests on the beach, the MSQ will not appear in the closest settlement.
Verdant Restoration Quest
The main story quest titled “Verdant Restoration” is the first puzzle you have to solve. Fortunately, it is not difficult, and I made a video for those who want a visual aid.
The answer to the puzzle is rotating the blocks to form “X, P, t.” The last symbol looks like a trident. Climb the rubble to reach the stone blocks. There is a mob at the top of the rubble. Kill him and then rotate the stone blocks to the correct order.
The main story quest line and efficient side quests should take you all the way to level 60. Supplement your questing experience with corruption portals WHEN there are enough players to make it worth your time (do this after level 40).
Players have already tested the leveling process and it should take around 24 hours to level to 60.
Good luck in Aeternum!
This article missed something? Did you get some comments?
Share it with us in Discord and talk directly with the author of the guide Spookypops!